10 Things You Didn't Know About Me.
Updated: Jul 11, 2019
I would have to say that I am an open book, I love having conversations on a variety of subjects and I hate small talk. I like having open, honest, and respectful debates. These top 10 things are totally me.
1) Jeopardy ~ Oh yeah that's right I am a jeopardy junkie. I even tried taking the online quiz cause I would love to be on the show, but alas US politics has always stumped me. I've loved this trivia show since I can remember. I started watching it with my grandmother, since I was the only granddaughter for many years I often got left out. My brothers and cousins would only let me play star wars with them, can you guess who I was? Yup princess Leia, always placed on top of the car to be rescued...... needless to say the gaining of knowledge was more appealing than playing the damsel in distress all day. Thank you Jeopardy for the endless amounts of useless knowledge, it has served me well during many games night.
2) Mountains ~ Mountains are my JAM. They make me happy, they make me calm, they take away my stress. I travel to the mountains regularly, not just for pleasure but for photography sessions when requested (these are my favourite). There is something that happens in my soul when the mountains come into view, it's like feeling peaceful and content. I am lucky enough to be a day trip away from the Canadian Rockies, so if life is weighing me down or I need a trip with my photog peeps it's possible to get away and recharge.
3) Family ~ Yup I have one. I've been with Adam for 15 years and we have two amazing children. Maximus is 11, his level of sarcasm and common sense makes me proud! Lilah is 6, she is the most fun loving sassy girl this momma just adores. I spend lots of time with my family, I'm a bit of a homebody and would rather be with them 90% of the time.
4) Food ~ I eat. I love food and I make no apologies for it. I like dining out, if it's good I'll go back typically ordering the same thing every time. Do you do that? I really like to cook, not so much for my family on a regular basis (don't worry I feed them just not gourmet). We have gatherings at our home pretty regularly during the summer and I tend to sometimes go overboard. Like this past Fathers Day, 23 people and a full on surf and turf dinner. It was complete with steak, crab legs, scallops, shrimp (2 different ways), salads and more. I took all day long but it was so worth showing how much these fathers mean to us.
5) Road Trips ~ I love driving, not in the city that sh*t is infuriating. Take me on a highway to anywhere or nowhere, and I will serenade you from a full array of musical genres. You must sing along when Bohemian Rhapsody comes on, this is non negotiable or you'll find yourself on the side of the road. FYI you must be ok with the sounds of a strangled cat. Apparently my voice most closely resembles this. Don't care deal with it, road trip requirement is singing at the top of your lungs.
6) Binge Watcher ~ That's right I watch tv, a lot of it. Now this is mainly because when I edit and spend 8-10 hours in front of my computer I need something in the background. I do listen to music and podcasts sometimes but tv is my main choice for background noise. Series are my favourite the more seasons the better, Do you have any you would recommend? I'm always on the hunt for a new show. My absolute favourite........ See #7.
7) Star Trek ~ Oh yeah Dork Alert! I LOVE Star Trek! I used to watch the original with my grandpa and uncle but as I grew up I thought it was ridiculous, that is until I started dating Adam. He would watch it and I would scoff at it, until.... I realized it was quite good. I started with Next Generation, Voyager, Deep Space Nine, even Enterprise (not my favourite). I am Loving the new series Discovery, it is like a 1 hour movie every week. Yes I re watch these series every year, I enjoy the show so when I edit it doesn't pull my focus from my work.
8) Space ~ I am in awe of space, fascinated by it's possibilities and the vastness of it. Space puts things into perspective makes you realize how small we are in the grand scheme of things. Every year since my son was 5, I have taken him out of the city away from the lights of the city for the Perseids Meteor Shower. This typically takes place in the first 2 weeks of August and is a wonderful spectacle of a dark sky light show. We pick the best day which you can find with a google search, and we pack up the truck and leave around 10pm. We don't have a designated spot, in reality we just drive till we find the darkest spot. I usually need gps to get back home. We put a air bed in the back of the truck with tons of blankets and pillows, with snacks and books. I get to talk with my boy and actually hear everything he has to say. One year we counted over 260 meteors before we fell asleep under a perfect summer sky. This will be my daughters first year joining us, we are excited to see what this years meteor shower has in store for us.
9) Landscape/Nature Photography ~ I really love photographing nature. I entered a number of images into a contest for the first time ever called Shoot and Share. Out of 50 images I submitted my highest performing image was of Moraine Lake it placed 2079 out of 28552 images submitted for landscapes, that's top 10%. I was pretty proud of that. I'll be looking into my options to get my landscapes and nature shots more exposure.
10) Friends ~ I have an amazing network of friends. I keep my circle small and I value each and everyone I call friend. I love them, they keep me sane and are great sounding boards for my crazy photo ideas. We spend an insane amount of time as a group doing family fun things and sometimes without the kids.
Bonus** ~ Honesty ~ I am possibly at times too honest, not to the point of being rude but because I believe that being truthful about who I am and what I represent is essential. I believe that people can't improve if they don't take an honest look at their life and should be able to take constructive criticism with grace. If you ask me a question I will answer it with honesty and love.